Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Headaches

Boo for headaches. I have had them as long as I can remember...going back as far as early elementary school. I've had lots of things checked out and tried lots of different things but nothing seems to work. Or if it does, it doesn't work for long. It might be easier to get help if I only had one type of headache. But I don't.

I get migraines occasionally, headaches caused by clenching my teeth at night, tension headaches, stress headaches, headaches from too much sugar or motion (aka my "sick" headaches), cluster headaches....

Trying a new medication but it doesn't seem to do much at all. Went to a chiropractor for a while but seeing as insurance didn't cover it at the time and like everything else, it stopped working...I had to give it up.

Now though, I have better insurance so I am going to try out physical therapy. I've been told by my current doctor that this person has had a lot of success helping people with headaches so I'm crossing my fingers that she will be able to help me help myself.

The reason I say it that way is because I am certain that at least a percentage of my headaches are caused by something that I am either doing (and shouldn't be) or that I am not doing (and should).

I've reached a point where I don't know if I should even bother taking ibuprofen or other otc pain medications because they really don't seem to help 99% of the time. Getting neck/head rubs helps but I can't always get those when I need them even with my absolutely fabulous boyfriend being willing to help me out.

They have gotten to the point where its seriously affecting my life. I have to plan around headaches or take them into account when I want to do something. I've learned to just power through them most of the time but that only works for things like my job...its harder to keep going when its something fun because I get cranky and miserable.

Here's to hoping that PT will help me out! First two sessions this week--Thursday and Friday.

No comments: