Saturday, December 5, 2009

Spinning "Exotic" Fibers

Some people think its so strange or even macabre to spin with fur from your own pets. I don't get what the big deal is. We make yarn from sheep, llama, alpaca, goats....but also things like rabbits. Last I knew, those can often be pets (so can the big animals if you choose to..but smaller animals are more common, I understand that)

Its not like I'm shaving my dog bald to get her fur. All I'm doing is brushing her and saving the fur that comes off the brush.

Well, whether people think its weird or not, I'm saving Moxi's lovely golden fur to spin. I was originally going to send it away to have someone spin it for me, but there is a woman in my area who will be offering a class in March for this for fairly cheap...so I figure why not? I want to learn how to get better on a spinning wheel anyway. I don't know that I'll ever buy a wheel and use it regularly but its a skill that is dying out and I want to learn more.

Depending on how much yarn I get out of it, I have two plans at least for the finished product: a stuffed dog (like the one is this post ) and maybe a rose or something ornamental.

Frankly I'm pretty excited that I finally have enough fur collected to do anything with it. About half a paper grocery bag. I'd have tons more if the fur she sheds onto the floor was viable, but of course that's not! I swear, I'd probably have her weight in fur by now of all she has shed!

No comments: